'Hot Water Challenge' Leaves Indiana Teen With Second-Degree Burns

Adjust Comment Print

An Indianapolis family is raising a red flag about the so-called "Hot Water Challenge" after the risky prank resulted in a 15-year-old being severely burned.

The so-called "Hot Water Challenge" involves drinking boiling water, or pouring it on a friend.

Kyland Clark said he and his friends watched videos of the challenge on YouTube before he fell asleep.

The challenge has manifested in a few different ways over the past several years: boil water and either drink it, pour it on yourself or pour it on a friend.

Kyland Clark suffered second degree burns on his back, his chest and face because of the misguided act of his friend. He spent a week in the hospital, undergoing treatment.

The "Hot Water Challenge" made national headlines in 2017, and it had been making its rounds on social media for about three years before that.

If hot coffee or tea can cause an injury, imagine what boiling water can do, according to the Burn Foundation.

Cohen says Trump knew about Trump Tower meeting with Russians
The Russian government said through intermediaries to Trump Jr. that it was supporting Trump and wanted to help the campaign. Sounds to me like someone is trying to make up stories in order to get himself out of an unrelated jam (Taxi cabs maybe?).

"To see my baby, all burned up like that, it was heartbreaking", said his mother, Andrea Clark.

Kyland Clark, 15, says he'll be back out shooting hoops soon, but for now, he is still wearing the scars of a unsafe internet challenge.

Some online challenges produce positive changes and are worth promoting so that they can go viral and help people.

This hashtag means we should think about what is happening to the coral reefs like the rising water temperature So!We suggest a hot Water bucket challenge.

"If your friends are telling you to do this, they aren't good friends", Dr. Ed Bartkus, of Indiana University Health, told Fox 59.

According to Barktus, teens who do the Hot Water challenge may end up with permanent disfigurement, due to the burns on their bodies, or even death, if the boiling water burns to their airways. "Don't take it overboard", the 15-year-old said.

Clark said he was startled awake, and that his injuries were immediately apparent.

Comments