Utah man dies after crashing plane into own home

Adjust Comment Print

Just hours after being arrested and released on bail for allegedly assaulting his wife, a Utah man stole a plane and crashed it into his own home where his wife was staying, police said.

CNN spoke to local police who said they had received calls about a domestic violence situation between Youd and his wife on Sunday night, according to Payson Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Noemi Sandoval.

Sgt. Spencer Cannon, Utah County Sheriff's Office, said their officers responded to an area near the top of American Fork Canyon after witnesses reported seeing an ongoing assault involving Youd and his wife. Youd's wife and a boy were inside the home at the time and got out safely, she said. The front part the two-story house was engulfed in flames.

Duane Youd, from Utah, is believed to have stolen the propeller plane from his employer before embarking on an apparent suicide mission to kill his partner.

It is unknown if the child in the house was related to the couple, police say.

Youd was an experienced pilot who had access to the twin engine Cessna 525 jet because he flew for the company that owned it, authorities said.

Brendan Rodgers: ‘My biggest qualifying challenge at Celtic so far’
It is hard for a player. "He wanted to speak to me at 10 o'clock". "He is a player that we would have loved to have here with us". Lafferty was the one who scored the only goal of the game, which took Hearts to the top of the Scottish Premiership table.

Before the crash Youd was booked into jail on suspicion of domestic violence and then bailed out.

The plane took off from a Utah airport before crashing, police said.

"We don't know what his ultimate goal is, whether he meant to hit it low like he did or he meant to hit it higher", Sandoval said.

The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the incident.

Online court records show that Youd agreed on July 23 to attend marriage and family counselling sessions for six months as part of a plea agreement following an April 8 domestic violence incident in which he was charged with disorderly conduct.

It is the second freaky plane incident in recent days.