Cops search home of couple who raised funds for homeless man

Adjust Comment Print

GoFundMe has deposited $20,000 into an escrow account for Bobbitt while the investigation into the possible misuse of funds continues, according to the Inquirer.

A search warrant was executed at the Florence Township home of Katelyn McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, in connection with a criminal investigation, confirmed Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina. "Further updates will be provided as circumstances warrant".

The couple claimed they had spent about half the money on Bobbitt, but stopped giving him cash because he was using drugs.

The campaign benefiting Bobbitt - which raised more than $400,000 from roughly 14,000 people - began accepting donations in November, almost 10 months ago.

"Johnny sits on the side of the road every day, holding a sign", McClure wrote on the page, which was created on November 10, 2017. He walked to a gas station and spending his last $20 to buy gas so McClure could get home to New Jersey. "A few minutes later, he comes back with a red gas can".

GoFundMe and Cozen O'Connor, the Philadelphia law firm representing the homeless man, announced Thursday evening in a joint statement that Bobbitt will receive an amount equal to the balance of the funds he did not get from the online fundraiser set up for him in November.

GoFundMe has said it's working with law enforcement to see that Bobbitt receives all of the money raised on his behalf, though his attorney claimed he learned the money is gone.

Attorneys for Bobbitt were quick to point out that their lawsuit is a civil action and does not involve police search warrants.

The Bobbitt case is an example of why donors are better off contributing to nonprofits that are subject to regulations and financial reporting requirements, he said. "I hate that it came to this". A homeless man, John Bobbitt, approached her and offered to help.

Trump calls on Sessions to investigate who wrote 'resistance' op-ed
Rand Paul (R-Ky.), meanwhile, advised President Trump to start giving lie detector tests throughout the administration. Trump said that the column suggested that members of the administration were working against him.

McClure and D'Amico had previously said a large sum of the money went to pay for a camper, as well as clothes, food, a TV, a laptop and hotel bills.

They allegedly spent money to live a lifestyle they couldn't afford, including vacations and shopping sprees. D'Amico told the newspaper that he had indeed used $500 from the bank account to gamble on a night when he forgot his Sugarhouse Casino card but had "quickly repaid" the money with his winnings. "I wanted to make sure that at the end of the day, when he was ready to, he had something left".

The viral feel-good story began to deteriorate last month after Bobbitt's attorney, Chris Fallon, accused the couple of withholding a large portion of the funds from his client.

McClure and D'Amico were ordered by a judge to hand over all remaining funds to Bobbitt by Friday, but that didn't happen - and Bobbitt's lawyer says that's because the money is simply gone.

There are conflicting reports from the couple and Bobbitt about how the money was used and whether Bobbitt was a participant or a victim.

D'Amico has said Bobbitt spent $25,000 in less than two weeks previous year on drugs as well as paying for overdue legal bills and sending money to family.

Bobbitt has said he wants to put what remains of the money in a trust and learn how to manage it.

And D'Amico gave an "evolving account" to the Inquirer of how he handled the money. "They have no place to go". A judge has ordered McClure, D'Amico and Bobbitt to appear at a deposition on Monday. McClure later drove away without responding to requests for comment from reporters massed at the end of the driveway. The GoFundMe cash, Bobbitt suspected, had been squandered on vacations, a luxury auto and more than one addiction.

Comments