The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority was under bankruptcy protection and some parts of the island that lost power during Hurricane Irma hadn't had electricity restored before Maria hit.
More than half of Puerto Rico's residents gave President TrumpDonald John TrumpGOP warns crime, immigration will spike if Dems win Former NSA chief breaks with other ex-intel officials over Brennan letter Puerto Rico governor issues scathing statement after Trump touts response to hurricane MORE a negative rating for his response to Hurricane Maria, according to a new poll.
Numerous nearly 3,000 deaths due to Maria were attributed to power failures and a lack of access to healthcare and clean water which makes the massive stockpile of water bottles all the more puzzling and frustrating.
The report said the 2,975 deaths occurred between the time the storm hit in September 2017 and February 2018.
President Donald Trump says the US government is ready for Hurricane Florence and he's rejecting criticism of the response to last year's Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, where thousands of people died.
San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, who has been a vocal critic of the administration's handling of the storm, cast blame on the federal government for failing to provide adequate assistance in the aftermath of the storm.
New 'Tower of Voices' honors those killed 17 years ago in PA
Almost 3000 people died in the attacks on 9/11, when global terrorism hit home in a way it previously hadn't for many Americans. Trump listened as the names of the 40 victims were read aloud, followed by the tolling of bells.
Trump said Tuesday that Tropical Storm Isaac, which had been downgraded from hurricane status overnight, now poses a threat to Puerto Rico.
A day earlier, the president praised the response to the series of storms.
He called Maria "the worst natural disaster in our modern history" and said many people are still struggling.
Trump has declared states of emergency for North and SC and Virginia, and canceled campaign events Thursday and Friday in anticipation of the storm.
"We'll handle it. We're ready", Trump said in a video message distributed over Twitter. "We are sparing no expense".
President Donald Trump says the safety of the American people is his "absolute highest priority" as Hurricane Florence takes aim at portions of the East Coast.
"They haven't seen anything like what's coming at us in 25, 30 years, maybe ever, " Trump said of the states in the storm's path.