Woman mistakes dynamite for candle during power outage, loses several fingers

Adjust Comment Print

A CT woman was severely hurt when authorities say she lit what she thought was a candle but turned out to be dynamite. Home Depot was closed.

"The family remembered that when they purchased their home two years ago, there were what they thought were candles left behind in the basement by the previous residents of the home", the news release said.

Per the Hartford Courant, the 30-year-old woman suffered extensive injuries to her hands and face at her Bridgeport home. It was around 9:20 p.m. when the woman mistakenly set off the explosion.

Cops say she suffered serious injuries and lost a number of fingers, but they wouldn't say how many.

Donald Trump on Colin Kaepernick Ad: 'What Was Nike Thinking?'
The latest reply came hours after the video aired during the matchup between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Atlanta Falcons. Stills began kneeling during the anthem in 2016 and has been vocal discussing racial inequality and other issues.

The woman, a mother of two children, was taken to the hospital for treatment after her family called 911. A number of neighbours were evacuated from their homes and the woman's children are staying with relatives. Police later detonated and disposed of it. It's against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in CT, but police aren't pressing charges. Police and fire crews on the scene found a second device that they described as a "makeshift firework".

Authorities say no charges will be pressed because the family says they had no knowledge the illegal explosives were in their home.

The second lesson police emphasized is to keep in mind to always have back up auxiliary lighting in case you lose power in your home. Police said it's preferable the lighting be battery operated, glow stick, or hand crank-powered, to avoid the risk of fire damage.

Comments