Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday said Saudi officials had planned murder of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi days before his death and called on Saudi Arabia government to allow trial of suspects in Istanbul.
Speaking on Tuesday at the Oval Office, the U.S. leader criticised the country's long-term ally for one of the "worst cover-ups in the history of cover-ups".
Speaking to members of his AK Party in parliament, Erdogan said that Saudi officials began plotting against Khashoggi in late September, days ahead of his disappearance after he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2.
That leaves open questions such as whether the Saudi operation in Istanbul was always meant to result in Khashoggi's death or whether the original plan was to kidnap and transport him to Saudi Arabia.
Mr Trump spoke on Sunday with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who is the son of Saudi King Salman.
But despite his criticism of the Saudi explanation, the USA vice-president would not say on Tuesday whether the USA believes Saudi Arabia's powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, was involved in what happened to Khashoggi.
Pompeo also said that the State Department is working with the U.S. Treasury to review if Global Magnitsky Act sanctions could be applied to those involved.
The secretary of state made the announcement during a press conference just moments after President Trump called the slaying "one of the worst cover-ups".
"But we'll also do so in the context of our vital national interests and the important and more than half-century long relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia", Pence said.
Cases of rare, polio-like illness confirmed in Ohio, Pennsylvania
But the data reported Tuesday represents "a substantially larger number than in previous months this year", Messonnier said. Tara Narula told " CBS This Morning ". "As a parent myself, I understand what it is like to be scared for your child".
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said on Sunday Khashoggi was approached by "Saudi security team" when he entered the consulate and their account of what happened after that differed from that of Turkish officials, which prompted the Saudis to investigate.
"The European Union's reaction from now on will depend on the next steps that will be taken by Saudi authorities", Mogherini said.
'Whoever thought of that idea I think is in big trouble and they should be in big trouble, ' he said. "I want to assure the American people we're going to get to the bottom of it", he said.
He said Haskell will return to the U.S. to brief the president, himself and members of the USA administration on what the Turkish investigation has turned up. "I have people in Turkey and I have people in Saudi Arabia and other places, and they're all coming back as we speak, they're heading back", he said.
The Washington Post columnist - an outspoken frequent critic of Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman - was never seen again, and the Saudi government, after repeated denials, now admits that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate in what it terms a "rogue operation".
Erdogan on Tuesday also accused Saudi officials of planning the killing days before Khashoggi entered the Saudi Consulate and said the whereabouts of Khashoggi's body were still unknown.
Trump said last week the prince "totally" denied any knowledge of Khashoggi's disappearance.
He, however, acknowledged Turkey was still searching for answers to key questions, including who gave the order.