Turkish employees of Saudi consulate give statements in Khashoggi probe

Adjust Comment Print

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and White House adviser, declined to say Monday whether he believes Saudi Arabia's account that Jamal Khashoggi accidentally died after an altercation inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul earlier this month.

Hours later, a Saudi source told the news agency a team of 15 people was involved in the killing.

After that, the same man is seen at Blue Mosque, one of Turkey's most famous landmarks.

Al-Jubeir is on a two-day visit to Indonesia and has a separate meeting with Retno on Tuesday.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and United States resident, was last seen on October 2, when he walked into the Saudi consulate to obtain paperwork to marry his fiancee Hatice Cengiz.

21 called the killing a "huge and grave mistake", but sought to shield its powerful crown prince from the widening crisis, saying Mohammed bin Salman had not been aware.

Spain has not joined the group of European countries most critical of the death of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who went missing on October 2 after walking into Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul.

US President Donald Trump also had talked about possible punishment but said he didn't want to halt proposed arms sales to Saudi Arabia because he maintained it would harm American manufacturers. "I knew it was a trap and just left with my expired passport".

Riyadh says rogue agents in its security establishment might have acted on their own to silence Khashoggi who has lived in the United States since fleeing the country a year ago.

"I don't respond to the critics", Kushner said.

That statement rankled members of Congress and former government officials who have accused Riyadh of trying to cover up the truth behind Khashoggi's death or hide any evidence that the kingdom, particularly the crown prince, authorized it.

Abdulkadir Selvi, whose columns in Turkey's English-language Hurriyet Daily News newspaper are closely watched for indications of the Turkish government regarding Khashoggi's case, said new details had emerged and the crown prince had to take responsibility.

'Wonder Woman' sequel release date pushed back
Wonder Woman fans are going to have wait a little longer for Gal Gadot's return in the highly anticipated sequel. The film starring Gal Gadot as the Amazonian superhero had been slated for a November 2019 release.

Several of Saudi Arabia's regional allies have come out in its support.

"We can not close this file until the crown prince is brought to account and removed from his post". "He'll make a determination on what he wants to do once he feels like he has all of the information that he needs", she said. They are said to have threatened him with being drugged and kidnapped and then killed him in a chokehold when he resisted.

In the apparent cover-up that followed Khashoggi's death, Madani, 57, who is of similar height, age and build to Khashoggi, 59, was used as a decoy for the journalist, according to the Turkish official.

Till a few days ago, the Saudi official press continued to push forward the version that Khashoggi had left the consulate and how his disappearance had been hyped up by Qatari, Iranian and Turkish media outlets. Turkey is conducting a separate investigation into the journalist's death.

"This is a very complicated murder", Celik added, warning that Ankara would not be drawn into speculation.

"We have to deal with what seems to be a bad situation", Kushner noted.

The images contradict Saudi's admission on Saturday that the writer died inside the consulate during a "fistfight". The Saudi officials claim that he was killed in a "fist fight" which broke out in the consulate building.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Sunday night and again offered US assistance with the Khashoggi investigation, a senior State Department official told CNN.

By nightfall, Turkish police began searching an underground auto parking garage in Istanbul's Sultangazi district.

The state-run broadcaster TRT later also reported that a man who entered the consulate building was seen leaving the building in Khashoggi's clothes.

Turkish police say they have asked prosecutors and the Saudi consulate for permission to search the vehicle, after cordoning off access to the auto park.

Comments