Saudi admits journalist Khashoggi dismembered in consulate

Adjust Comment Print

Turkey's foreign minister says the announcement by Saudi Arabia's top prosecutor on recommending the death penalty for five suspects in the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi falls short of Turkey's expectations.

Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in May 2010.

The body parts were then handed over to an agent outside the consulate, he said.

After first insisting Khashoggi left the consulate unharmed, Saudi authorities said he was killed in an argument that degenerated into a brawl before finally accepting what Turkey had said virtually from the start - that he was killed in a premeditated hit.

The prosecution 'demands the death penalty for those who ordered and executed the killing and they're five people, ' he said at the conference in Riyadh. "This process can not be closed down in this way", he added.

Their cases have been referred to a court while investigations into another 10 people suspected of involvement continue.

Al-Jubeir said the kingdom is investigating and holding those responsible to account "to make sure this doesn't happen again". The former adviser was now under investigation, the prosecutor said, declining to reveal the names of any of those facing charges.

A former deputy chief of the kingdom's intelligence service was the one who ordered the formation of a squad sent to Turkey in an attempt to convince Khashoggi to return to his homeland, the official said.

Dan Leavy: Flanker pushes claim for starting place against New Zealand
Scrum-half Conor Murray could make a surprise return to the Ireland team for the clash with world champions New Zealand next weekend, coach Joe Schmidt said on Saturday.

He also rejected Turkey's demand for an global inquiry into the murder, saying Riyadh had its own "investigative body" and would "reject" an independent investigation into the killing.

Turkey also says it has a recording related to the killing which it has shared with Western allies.

Among the high-level officials incriminated in connection with the killing is former deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri, who was sacked in the immediate aftermath of the killing.

Saudi Arabia's initial explanations for Khashoggi's death have met with worldwide skepticism that centers on Prince Mohammed, who has shown a drive to silence dissent as he consolidates power. He was sacked on October 20, as the Saudi regime scrambled to respond to widespread criticism and calls for transparency in the case.

Last month, Turkish officials accused another Saudi prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, of being uncooperative during a visit to Istanbul.

After repeated denials, Saudi Arabia finally admitted in mid-October that Khashoggi had been murdered at the compound, but blamed it on a "rogue" operation.

Those policies are all seen as initiatives of the crown prince, who has also presided over a roundup of activists and businessmen.

Comments