Cigarette Explodes In Teen’s Mouth, Shattering His Jaw

Adjust Comment Print

Two people have died from e-cigarette explosions in recent years.

It is unclear what brand of e-cigarette the boy had been using, and the teen did not know how his injury took place.

The teenager, who lives in Rural Ely, was rushed to a children's hospital in Salt Lake City - an agonising five-hour drive away - after the device blew up in his face in March 2018. For a period of 6 weeks, they also had to wire his jaw shut so that it healed. Thankfully, he has already started healing according to Russell.

"I could see blood in his mouth and a hole in his chin", says Burton. He has also made a decision to completely quit all cigarettes after the incident. "I never heard of this as a possibility" said Russell, who described the boy's injuries in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"People need to know before they buy these devices that there's a possibility they're going to blow up in your pocket, in your face", she added.

According to Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, "The vast majority of vaping devices on the market carry the same fire risk as other products that use lithium-ion batteries, such as cellphones and laptops".

Recent research found 2000 e-cigarette explosions and burn injuries sent users to United States hospital emergency departments from 2015-2017.

US Fed to look 'carefully' at Facebook virtual coin Libra
"Just sitting here today, I think 50 basis points would be overdone", Mr Bullard said in an interview with Bloomberg Television. Mr Bullard dissented, arguing that weak inflation and uncertainties about the outlook for economic growth warranted a rate cut.

The explosion was "totally unexpected", Dr. Russell told NBC News.

Mechanical mod devices contain no safety features such as an automatic shutoff, Conley said. The study called for increased regulation of e-cigarettes to prevent further injury to users.

Although the boy has fully recovered from his injuries, he still has three or four teeth missing, because he's lacked the insurance coverage to afford to have them replaced, Russell said. The healing process wasn't an easy one: Adams had to get temporary braces and plates on his jawbones.

There were 32 reported cases of injuries or poisonings related to vaping products including e-cigarettes between January 2013 and August 2018 in Canada, according to government figures.

The US Food and Drink Administration (FDA) has recently completed guidance for companies making electronic cigarettes. While batteries may explode, he said, "a lot of that happens because of the failure of the consumer to actually charge those batteries properly".

The agency said in a statement that it was "concerned" about "overheating and exploding batteries". According to a study in the journal BMJ Tobacco Control, there were an estimated 2,035 e-cigarette explosion and burn injuries in US emergency departments between 2015 and 2017.

Comments