- Lights go out for 2nd straight day at ACC tourney
- No. 5 South Carolina advances to SEC semis
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- NWSL Countdown: Boston Breakers
- MLS Countdown: New York Red Bulls
- From the Editor: TSDN and MLS Kick Off
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- 5 Minutes to Kickoff #76
- Time is running out to see the Philadelphia Flower Show!
Charlie Manuel Fired
- Updated: August 16, 2013
Charlie Manuel has been fired as manager of the Philadelphia Phillies. Word came out earlier today in a press conference involving Manuel and general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr.
Ryne Sandberg has been named interim manager for the remainder of the season. That should become permanent at season’s end.
The club informed Manuel that his contract would not be renewed heading into next season, and then both parties came to an agreement to part ways. The decision was made two days ago, not long after Manuel won his 1,000th career game.
He knew on Wednesday night that it would be he last game as Phils skipper.
The decision is understandable, but questionable in that with only 40 games remaining in a lost season, why not let the most beloved coach in team history ride off into the sunset?
Charlie departs as the winningest, most successful manager in Phillies history. He is first all time in wins and is one of only two managers to lead the Phillies to a World Series championship in 130 years of existence.
Photo Courtesy of BleacherReport.com