- McDermott among Wooden Award finalists
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- No. 13 UNC tops No. 8 Terps in ACC tourney
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Winthrop upsets High Point with last-second 3
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- Cottage Talk: Match Preview (Fulham vs. Cardiff City)
- MLS Kit Week Review Spectacular! Part 2
- Ohio St. upsets No. 11 Penn St. in quarterfinals
Chicago Bears Fan Stabbed to Death in Jacksonville
- Updated: October 8, 2012
A Chicago Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville over the weekend to watch the Jaguars-Bears game was killed in a bar stabbing, according to Jacksonville police.
According to the Florida Times-Union, William C. “Chris” Pettry, 42 died after being stabbed inside a Fionn MacCools, an Irish-themed restaurant in a downtown mall. The police arrested a Jacksonville resident and placed him in jail on a murder charge.
Reports say the stabbing came after Pettry was “involved in a disturbance with two other subjects.” The bar was located near a hotel that Bears fans took over as they traveled to Jacksonville.
The man accused of killing a Bears fan in a Jacksonville, Fla. restaurant was seen by witnesses cutting William Pettry’s throat before he “calmly walked” out to his car, police said this morning.
Matthew Hinson, 27, “placed the bloody knife in his pocket and walked out of the restaurant” early Sunday morning, the Jacksonville County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. “Eyewitnesses gave detailed accounts of the incident. Each described how the suspect cut the victim and calmly walked out of the establishment.”
This might be the most publicity the Jacksonville Jaguars get all season.