- USC holds off Oregon St. for 1st Pac-12 title
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Saint Louis captures 2nd straight A-10 title
- Albany stuns Vermont in America East semis
- No. 2 ND routs No. 10 Duke, earns ACC title
- DePaul routs Georgetown in Big East quarters
- Kansas St. fires Patterson after 11-19 season
- Winthrop earns school’s first Big South title
- Ohio St. pulls away late, edges Michigan St.
- Davis, Sims help Baylor reach Big 12 final
Eagles Beat Redskins to Open 2013 Season
- Updated: September 10, 2013
(Landover MD) On Monday September 9 from FedEx Field in Landover Maryland, An new Era of Eagles Football started when the Philadelphia Eagles took on the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football. This game featured the NFL Coaching debut of New Eagles head coach Chip Kelly & the return of Redskins QB Robert Griffin lll from Knee Surgery. The game was Broadcasted on ESPN with Mike Tirico, John Gruden & Lisa Salters, also broadcasted Locally on 94 WIP with Merrill Reese, Mike Quick & Howard Eskin & Nationally on Westwood One with Ian Eagle, Boomer Esiason.
The Eagles won the Toss & elected to Receive, the Offense that everyone has been talking took major effect early on as they took it down to Redskins 4 yard line then a very questionable call happened when Vick threw a pass to McCoy that was Batted at the line by Redskins Kerrigan & DE Angelo Hall picked up & took it 75 yards for a Touchdown, they called it a backwards lateral & after review the play was upheld & redskins lead 7-0, after the review, Eagles Sideline reporter Howard Eskin said “The officials did not have any Guts to over turn that call in Washington”. the eagles get it back & drive down and kick a field goal. The Redskins finally get the ball on offence & Alfred Morris fumbles the ball at the Redskins’ 23-yard line, Eagles recovered & take advantage when Vick hits DeSean Jackson for a 25 Yd Touchdown for a 10-7 lead. Brandon Boykin would pick off RG3 on the next drive. the redskins get it back & they have communication issues when RG3 Fumbles in the endzone & Alfred Morris covers it for a Safety , the Eagles would lead 12-7 at end of 1st QTR, Eagles would run 30 Plays in 1st.
both teams would trade field position & punts in the 2nd QTR until the Eagles hit the endzone again when Vick finds his TE Brent Celek for 28 yd touchdown for a 19-7 lead, then the Eagles would get the ball back and Vick would take it in for 3 yards out for a 26-7 lead, Eagles Radio Announcer Merrill Reese said the following after the Vick Touchdown “Who Expected this, Not the Duds at ESPN the Magazine who picked the Redskins to win this game 41-0″. The Eagles would take a 26-7 lead into halftime, Eagles ran 53 plays in 1st half
The Redskins started 2nd half with ball & it would get Picked off by Cary Williams. The Eagles would make the Redskins pay when LeSean McCoy would break off a sick 34 yard run for a touchdown to make it 33-7. The Redskins would finally score a touchdown with 3 minutes left in 3rd quarter when Alfred Morris runs it in from 5 yards out, then RG3 hits Leonard Hankerson, to cut Eagles lead to 13 halfway through 4th QTR, The Griffin would hit Hankerson again to cut Eagles lead to 33-27 with 1 minute left in 4th QTR, Eagles would recover onside kick & Eagles Hold on for a 33-27 win & Chip Kelly wins in his NFL Regular Season Debut. The Eagles now come home for the Home Opener on Sunday against the San Diego Chargers & the Redskins head to Green Bay.
QB Michael Vick was 15/25 for 203 yards, 2 Pass TDS , 9 Rush Attempts for 54 yards & 1 TD
RB LeSean McCoy had 31 Rush Attempts for 184 Yards & 1 Rush TD
WR DeSean Jackson had 7 catches for 104 & 1 TD
Robert Griffin lll 30/49 for 329, 2 Pass TDS & 2 Interceptions
Alfred Morris had 12 rush for 45 yards & 1 Rush TD
Leonard Hankerson had 5 catches for 80 yards & 2 TDS
Fans Feedback during game:
1. 2013 Miss Philadelphia Francesca Ruscio on Twitter (@MissPhilly2013) “we “skinned” the win from Redskins”
2. Dustin Bradley on Twitter (@Dustinbradley69)”They said we didn’t have a chance. But we showed them. Good win, #Eagles. 1-0″
3. Jenny Buxhoeveden on Facebook & Twitter (@Jennyx3Bux) “1-0. EAGLES!!!! What an explosive 1st half. Less energetic/sloppy 2nd half. But a win is a win. I like what I saw”