- PSL Five: Previewing Union vs. ImpactPosted 9 hours ago
- Bakary Soumaré Traded to FirePosted 1 day ago
- Michael Phelps Not planning a comeback for the 2016 summer gamesPosted 5 days ago
- Late Magic Wins Series for the PhilliesPosted 5 days ago
- Phillies Week 7 In ReviewPosted 5 days ago
- Union Tough Out Second Straight Win Against FirePosted 6 days ago
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. Chicago Fire, IIPosted 7 days ago
- Donovan, Galaxy Embarrass Union 4-1Posted 9 days ago
- BREAKING: Union Trade Gabriel Farfan to Chivas USAPosted 10 days ago
- McNabb to Retire as an EaglePosted 11 days ago
NBA’s Nets still playing in New Jersey
- Updated: August 21, 2012
The Nets will play their first game as the Brooklyn Nets in Atlantic City, NJ as they are hosted by the Philadelphia 76ers. The Sixers are coining the game as the ‘Boardwalk Classic’ as the two teams meet in a preseason opener Saturday Oct. 13. It will be first time the Nets will play a game as the Brooklyn Nets after leaving New Jersey in the off-season.
The Nets franchise was originally known as the New York Americans when they joined the ABA in 1967. After their first season they changed names to the New York Nets which they kept for their remaining time in the ABA. In 1976 the Nets joined the NBA and after that season they moved to New Jersey (1977).
Atlantic City is location familiar location to Brooklyn Nets part-owner Jay-Z has co-owns the famous nightclub 40/40 Club, so it may a fitting post-game party. Jay-z, legally known as Shawn Corey Carter, helped design the new logos and picked the black-and-white scheme. He also personally appealed to the NBA to drop their objections to the logos and color layout.
The Brooklyn Nets majority owner Mikhail Prokhorov turned some heads from his comments in a recent New Times Magazine interview where he called New Knicks owner James Dolan ‘that little man’. The comment is a pun in itself as Prokorov stands 6′ 8″ and his cross town rival is only 5′ 6″. The Nets have created a lot buzz in the New York area as they have a bill board next to Madison Square Garden with words, “the blueprint to greatness”. Pictured on the bill board is Jay-Z and Prohorov, and the phrase blueprint is fitting as Jay-Z has three albums with blueprint in title. The Nets officially open their $1 billion home the Barclays Center Nov 1.