- Zags hold off BYU comeback, win WCC title
- N. Dakota St. claims Summit title, NCAA bid
- No. 18 Gonzaga shuts down BYU for WCC title
- No. 23 DePaul takes Big East over St. John’s
- Mount St. Mary’s (16-16) clinches NCAA bid
- Milwaukee wins Horizon title to reach tourney
- Loyola Marymount parts ways with coach Good
- Penn ends Princeton’s Ivy League title run
- FIU’s Coley surpasses 3,000-point career mark
- South Dakota tops Denver for 1st NCAA berth
Neumann-Goretti Wins Catholic League Title…Again!
- Updated: February 26, 2013
Neumann-Goretti averaging a 35-point win percentage in the playoffs, took on Saint Josephs Prep, who was seeking redemption from last years overtime loss to the Saints. In 15 seasons in South Philly, Carl Arrigale has a 339-81 overall record. This was Neumann-Goretti’s ninth title in the last 13 seasons and 19th overall; and 5th straight catholic league title.
Neumann-Goretti built an early lead with help from Ja’Quan Newton (27 points), and topped St. Joseph’s Prep, 60-42. Monday night at the Palestra for its fifth straight Catholic League championship. Saint Joe’s Prep did make a third quarter run putting the Hawks within 1 point; but it only lasted a few seconds.
The Saints, John Davis finished with 11 points and 11 boards; Tony Toplyn finished with six boards, five points, and two blocks.
Neumann-Goretti, second half buzzer-beater: