- Powerful, Fast and Reliable Internet for All Students in the Home
- Wayne Simmonds on Flyers: We don’t want ‘repeat of last year’ (Puck Daddy)
- Phillies Minor League review, Aug. 17-23
- Puck Daddy’s Summer Series: The St. Louis Blues from A to Z (Puck Daddy)
- Phils have nothing to show for crushing All-Star arms
Reading Phillies change name and add ostrich to logo
- Updated: November 19, 2012
The minor league team in Reading, PA is about to enter their 47th season as an affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, which according to the Reading Eagle ties them for the longest current affiliation in the minors. Needless to say, the local folks enjoy having that connection to the nearby big league team, and it seems they also enjoyed sharing a name with the Phillies, as well their simple, traditional looking logo.
Both will different, however, when the team takes the field in the spring, as general manager Scott Hunsicker and team officials announced on Saturday they will now be known as the Reading Fightin Phils, adding the Phillies’ longtime nickname to their own, and the new logo will feature an ostrich striking a fighting pose.
The motivation behind choosing for the ostrich came from a guy known as the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor, who enters the field riding a costume ostrich named Rodrigo. Apparently that act is a big hit with the kids, so it’s entirely possible, if not likely, this plan will indeed be a home run with the younger fanbase.