- Wife believes Sandusky ‘definitely’ innocent
- Syracuse among host schools for 2K Classic
- Seattle Set for Epic Clash Against Toronto FC
- N. Dakota St. claims Summit title, NCAA bid
- No. 23 DePaul takes Big East over St. John’s
- Zags hold off BYU comeback, win WCC title
- South Dakota tops Denver for 1st NCAA berth
- No. 18 Gonzaga shuts down BYU for WCC title
- Loyola Marymount parts ways with coach Good
- Mount St. Mary’s (16-16) clinches NCAA bid
Union Release Gomez, Lopez and Witkowski on Waivers
- Updated: November 19, 2012
Chester, Pa – The Philadelphia Union have released Gabriel Gomez, Porfirio Lopez And Krystian Witkowski on Waivers and will look to make moves in the Major League Soccer Waiver Draft at 3:30 PM ET today.
The Panamanian international Gomez was the most notable of these players. He was brought on in the off season to add a spark in the Union’s midfield and work along side Brian Carroll. Gomez’s impact was felt early as he was a threat from set pieces, but struggled mid-way and late into the season hardly finding any play time. He never seemed to rebound from his thigh injury in May.
Lopez saw little action with the first team. He was expected to help the Union’s problems at left back, but he never seemed to fit into the system. When Lopez did play, he was taken advantage of and became too much of a risk to be in the 11 or even the 18.
Witkowski was mostly a reserve player and suffered from concussions this season which was a major set back for him and the club. Stay tuned to Philly Sports Live for more information from today’s Waiver Draft.