- Michael Phelps Not planning a comeback for the 2016 summer gamesPosted 1 day ago
- Late Magic Wins Series for the PhilliesPosted 1 day ago
- Phillies Week 7 In ReviewPosted 1 day ago
- Union Tough Out Second Straight Win Against FirePosted 3 days ago
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. Chicago Fire, IIPosted 4 days ago
- Donovan, Galaxy Embarrass Union 4-1Posted 5 days ago
- BREAKING: Union Trade Gabriel Farfan to Chivas USAPosted 7 days ago
- McNabb to Retire as an EaglePosted 7 days ago
- Phillies Week 6 in ReviewPosted 9 days ago
- Desert StormPosted 9 days ago
Union Release Gomez, Lopez and Witkowski on Waivers
- Updated: November 19, 2012
Chester, Pa – The Philadelphia Union have released Gabriel Gomez, Porfirio Lopez And Krystian Witkowski on Waivers and will look to make moves in the Major League Soccer Waiver Draft at 3:30 PM ET today.
The Panamanian international Gomez was the most notable of these players. He was brought on in the off season to add a spark in the Union’s midfield and work along side Brian Carroll. Gomez’s impact was felt early as he was a threat from set pieces, but struggled mid-way and late into the season hardly finding any play time. He never seemed to rebound from his thigh injury in May.
Lopez saw little action with the first team. He was expected to help the Union’s problems at left back, but he never seemed to fit into the system. When Lopez did play, he was taken advantage of and became too much of a risk to be in the 11 or even the 18.
Witkowski was mostly a reserve player and suffered from concussions this season which was a major set back for him and the club. Stay tuned to Philly Sports Live for more information from today’s Waiver Draft.