- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- No. 13 UNC tops No. 8 Terps in ACC tourney
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Winthrop upsets High Point with last-second 3
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- Cottage Talk: Match Preview (Fulham vs. Cardiff City)
- MLS Kit Week Review Spectacular! Part 2
- Ohio St. upsets No. 11 Penn St. in quarterfinals
- No. 2 Notre Dame cruises past Florida State
Zach Pfeffer Loaned to German Side Hoffenheim 1899
- Updated: December 4, 2012
Chester, Pa– Philadelphia Union today announced that midfielder Zach Pfeffer, the Union’s first ever Homegrown Player, has been loaned to Germany’s Hoffenheim 1899. The loan will run from the first week of January 2013 until the end of the first half of the 2013/14 Bundesliga season in December. The Union has picked up Pfeffer’s contract option for the 2014 season and he will return to the club once the loan has expired.
Pfeffer, who spent the 2010 and 2011 offseasons training with Hoffenheim, will be eligible to play for the club upon receipt of his international transfer certificate (ITC). Per MLS and club policy, terms of the loan will not be disclosed.
“Loaning Zach to Hoffenheim is a win-win situation for all parties involved,” said Philadelphia Union Team Manager John Hackworth. “While we will miss Zach for the 2013 season, we know that the experience at this stage of his maturation process will be invaluable to both him and the Philadelphia Union in the future.”
The Dresher, PA native is currently on a two week training stint with the club and will return to the United States before officially reporting for duty in early January.
Pfeffer signed as the Union’s first ever Homegrown player in 2010 and made his first official league appearance with the Union in 2011, starting in a 1-0 victory against the Columbus Crew on September 17. This season, Pfeffer, 17, saw action in one First Team match and captained the Union’s U-17 squad to the 2012 Generation adidas Cup.
A regular with U.S. National Teams, Pfeffer recently returned from U-18 National Team training camp in Carson, Calif., where he had a goal and an assist in victories against Canada.
(via Philadelphia Union)
photo: Montgomery News